There comes a time in every homeowner’s life when their home exterior needs to be re-sided. Replacement siding is a valuable investment, but choosing the right product for your Detroit area home can feel overwhelming. There are many options on the market, including fiber cement siding—an option many homeowners favor.
So, how do you know if fiber cement siding is right for you? The John McCarter Construction siding team are experts in working with one of the most popular brands of this type of siding—James Hardie®. Here’s our handy guide to how fiber cement siding can benefit you and give you a beautiful, lasting home exterior.
What Is Fiber Cement Siding?
Fiber cement is a manmade material composed of cellulose wood fibers, sand, and water—and it’s highly prized by homeowners who appreciate its unique benefits. The nation’s top brand for fiber cement siding is James Hardie®, whose products perform with stellar results, adding great value to any home that features this siding on its exterior.
What Are the Benefits of Installing Fiber Cement Siding?
As you consider the reasons to invest in fiber cement rather than other forms of siding, keep these many benefits of fiber cement siding in mind.
- Provides lovely curb appeal — One of the reasons homeowners love fiber cement siding by James Hardie is how beautiful it looks from the curb. Unlike vinyl siding, HardiePlank® lap siding mimics the look of natural wood, lending sophistication to any home exterior.
- Easy to care for — Though it looks as beautiful as wood, fiber cement siding has a distinct advantage over wood because it is much more durable and easier to maintain. With fiber cement siding, homeowners definitely get the best of both worlds. Simply rinse it gently with a hose once a year to clear away dust and dirt, and you’re done.
- Offers lasting durability — Wood can decay and rot. Metal rusts, while vinyl can take on dents and scratches easily. But fiber cement is extremely resistant to the elements. It doesn’t warp or break.
- Resists insects and vermin — Another area where fiber cement siding outperforms other materials is in its ability to stand up to pests. Its manmade composition can’t be eaten by termites. And it can’t be penetrated by woodpeckers wanting to make nests.
- Effective in any climate — James Hardie is Engineered for Climate®, meaning its products are designed to perform well anywhere. Their HardieZone® system makes it easy for homeowners to know which products are best for their area of the country. In Detroit and Ann Arbor, you can enjoy fiber cement siding that performs well in spite of ice, snow, wind, and freezing temperatures.
- Is non-combustible — When planning for siding replacement, homeowners often look for safety ratings. While James Hardie fiber cement siding can’t stop a fire, it won’t add fuel to a fire either. It’s rated non-combustible.
- Is eco-friendly — Made from natural raw materials, fiber cement isn’t toxic to the environment. And because James Hardie manufactures its siding to last longer with minimal maintenance, there’s less need to perform environmentally taxing actions such as repainting and disposing of old materials.
- Available in many styles — There’s no need to be concerned about how Hardie siding will complement your home. You can choose a variety of styles and products—such as horizontal lap siding, vertical siding, shingles, trim, soffits, backer boards for interior work, and weather barriers. It looks great whether your home is modern, traditional, or even historic in architecture.
- Choice of colors — James Hardie fiber cement siding can accommodate just about any color you can imagine. This is because it either comes primed and ready to be painted after installation—a great way to match it to the rest of your home’s appearance—or it can be manufactured with baked-in, ColorPlus® technology, which adds a lasting color in the factory. With ColorPlus, your Hardie siding simply needs to be installed, and then you’re done.
How Does Fiber Cement Siding Compare in Terms of Cost?
Compared to vinyl siding, fiber cement is definitely a bigger investment. Homeowners across America prefer James Hardie siding because of how well it performs, which means it’s in high demand. It takes time to manufacture the siding. And it’s heavy, durable composition makes it a little more costly to ship safely.
Offsetting these costs are some benefits that only James Hardie fiber cement siding can give you:
- Costs less to care for — James Hardie fiber cement siding lasts an average of 30 years, which is 10 years longer than vinyl usually lasts. You spend less in replacement costs over time.
- Saves you in insurance — With its great performance against weather, pests and fire, James Hardie siding often qualifies for insurance discounts. Check with your insurer for details.
- Offers great return on investment — Installing James Hardie fiber cement siding is among the most effective home improvement projects you can do, returning an average of 80 percent or more.
The Right Siding Contractor Makes All the Difference for Your Home
To perform well and protect its impressive warranty, James Hardie siding should be installed by a skilled siding contractor. Fortunately, James Hardie trains and certifies contractors so you can be assured of a quality installation.
John McCarter Construction is proud to be an Elite Preferred James Hardie contractor, offering siding installation that conforms to James Hardie’s high standards so you benefit from siding you can rely on for years. And we make it simple for you to get replacement siding that adds to your enjoyment of your home.
Our process is easy:
- Schedule a consultation and receive a detailed estimate.
- Choose your siding styles and colors, and have it installed with care by our skilled team.
- Love your home’s boost in beauty, durability, and value.
See our gallery and check our customer reviews to learn why Ann Arbor and Detroit area homeowners consider us their go-to siding contractor for all their home improvement needs. Get started on a transformed home today—contact us to get a free quote.